Monday, March 16, 2020

A small word and a mighty prayer

Agur was the son of Jakeh a pious man who did not consider himself very wise or have any understanding. Nor did he feel he had any knowledge of the Holy One who has gone up to heaven and came down, established the earth and then,  continued to ask; "what is his name and the name of his son? Tell me if you know! Proverbs 30:2-4   

He said:  "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar." vs. 5-6

Then, Agur prayed one of the best prayers for any of us to pray:
 
"Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die:  Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say "Who is the Lord" Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."  vs 7-9

I have always loved that prayer because Agur had more wisdom than he thought. He had the fear of God inside of him and he had a great deal of foresight. He felt he did not have any wisdom, knowledge or understanding, so he simply asked God to keep falsehood and lies from him, for he realized how subtle and deceiving they can be. He never prayed for wealth, but simply his daily bread. He knew if he had too much wealth his dependence might lean upon riches instead of God. If he was too poor, he could steal and in both situations he could dishonor the name of His God. 

Prayer:

Heavenly Father,

We understand how you use all things, and we know you work behind the scenes upon our behalf, for your glory. You continually give us answers to receive contentment and peace this morning through your servant Agur. Again, you remind us to pray over everything, trust in you with all of our hearts and not to think too highly of ourselves. You have always taken care of us and we know you are faithful to never leave us. We say, Thank you Father for giving us exactly what we need. Thank you Father for continually expressing your love to us every morning. You are a God of hope! A God of Love! One that even battles for us. We pray in your Son's beautiful name Jesus. Amen. 


No comments: